- Lynchburg, VA
- Salary: $14.69 /hour
Bus Operator (Fixed Route & Para-Transit) (Full & Part Time)
Industry: Public Transportation, Operations
Title of Position: Bus Operator (Fixed Route & Para-Transit)
Announcement: The Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (Central Virginia Transit Management Company, Inc.) located in Lynchburg, VA is seeking qualified applicants for the open positions of Fixed Route Bus Operator and Para-Transit Operator.
General Description: The Bus Operator’s are responsible for the safe, efficient, and on-time delivery of passengers by means of public transportation. They serve as “Ambassadors of Goodwill” ensuring safety first, abide by all traffic laws, and provide the highest quality customer service transportation passengers, including those with disabilities throughout the City of Lynchburg and areas of surrounding county. Responsible for collecting fares, overseeing the safety of passengers, resolving problems and providing good customer relations and maintaining public trust.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and work well under pressure or in stressful situations in various weather conditions.
- Ability to bend, twist, and turn frequently and constantly throughout work shift.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent customer service and customer relation skills.
- Knowledge of state and local traffic laws as well as the Lynchburg City area.
- Possession or ability to obtain within 60 days of hire a Class B (Passenger and Air-Brake endorsement) Commercial Driver’s License. (On the Job Training Provided)
- Ability to arrive promptly, work independently with minimal supervision, and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Previous experience in the operation of various size vehicles.
- Basic computer knowledge and ability to interact with office and bus technology.
- High school diploma or GED (extensive experience may be considered in lieu of education).
* Benefits: Position is full time with excellent benefits including Health, Dental, Eye Car, Life, Paid Vacation, Holidays, Sick time, Employee Assistance Program and Retirement Plan. (Full Time Positions Only)
Starting Salary: $ 10.00/hour (During Training)
$ 13.58 – $ 14.30/hour (Upon Completion of Training)
To Apply: Visit our website to obtain a Safety Sensitive application or you may obtain one in person at our office as listed below. Submit completed applications, cover letter, and resume to “Greater Lynchburg Transit Company, Attn: Human Resources Manager, P.O. Box 11286, Lynchburg, VA 24506.
Applications may also be submitted in person at GLTC’s main office: 419 Bradley Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501. Any applications submitted in person must be enclosed in a sealed envelope with the following clearly written on it: Attn: Human Resources Manager – Bus Operator.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until close of business (5:00 pm) on January 18, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (Central Virginia Management Company, Inc.) is an equal opportunity employer. GLTC does not discriminate against any individual employed or seeking employment on the basis of race, color, age, disability, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin and is a drug/alcohol/smoke-free workplace.
All persons selected for a position must pass a drug test prior to employment. All persons in a safety-sensitive position are subject to random drug/alcohol testing. GLTC also conducts full Criminal Background checks on all applicants considered for employment.
For more information on the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company, please visit our website at: www.GLTConline.com